31 Stress-Free Ways to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
Eating for optimal health doesn’t have to mean major and painful changes to our diets (give up ice cream… forever? Never eat white potatoes again?). In fact, some of the most beneficial changes are the seemingly small ones we make as a habit in our daily lives.
Here are 31 (yes, I like to go big!) easy and fun ideas for how to eat more fruits and vegetables every day.
How to Eat More Fruits and Vegetables
Break the Fast
1. Top your toast with nut butter and bananas or berries. I also love a carrot cake-inspired version with grated raw carrot, raisins, cinnamon, chopped pecans or coconut.
2. When making omelets or quiches, add as many veggies as you can get your hands on: leafy greens, green onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers…the list is endless. Whatever you have in your fridge, toss it in there.
3. Mix puréed carrots, squash or pumpkin into waffle or pancake batters for a touch of natural, whole-food sweetness.
More Breakfast Inspiration
Attack Snacks at Midday
4. Use high-protein hummus or homemade guacamole as a dunking station for raw carrots, cucumber and celery.
5. Pick up a bag of veggie chips (or make your own) and enjoy with homemade tomato salsa.
6. Cook up a batch of crunchy kale, sweet potato or even plantain chips in the oven. Cravings busted!
7. Your kids might go crazy for apple and pear slices when they’re dipped in a sugar-free coconut yogurt.
8. Always on the go? Double up on dried fruit like dates or dried apricots, toasted nuts or coconut for a portable trail mix that will curb your cravings until lunchtime.
Pack a Lunch
9. Stuff your lunch wraps, rolls and sandwiches with shredded cabbage (green or purple cabbage are both A-OK), fresh herbs and lettuce.
10. Banish the bread and use lettuce as your “sandwich”. Romaine lettuce, Belgian endives and buttercrunch lettuce are some of my favourites. Discover more bread substitutes worth trying!.
11. Use avocado in place of butter or peanut butter for a healthy and creamy dairy-free sandwich spread.
12. Never brown bag a lunch again without a generous handful of raw vegetables….